HSC sponsors Wes Beach's popular talks all across the state (with admittance on a donation only basis), but volunteers are needed to host them. Hosts provide a place where a group can assemble, publicize the talk, introduce Wes, and collect donations to cover his expenses and any costs for the meeting place. Anyone interested in hosting a talk can email Wes at email@example.com or call him at (831) 462-5867.
Wes' experience includes working with people in connection with:
- documenting home studies.
- enrolling in community colleges.
- choosing four-year colleges and universities.
- gaining admission at four-year schools, including early admission, and at both the freshman and transfer levels.
- coping with the uniquely complex rules of the University of California.
- continuing with unschooling-finding appropriate alternatives to formal higher education.
- attending alternative schools and training/certificate programs.
A handout is provided at his talks. It includes thoughts about the range of possibilities in homeschooling, college admission, and life paths that do not include a college degree; transcripts; and a number stories about the routes to success that Wes's students have taken after high school.
Wes has 30 years experience, first in the public schools and now through his private high school, with teenagers who want to follow alternative educational paths. He's seen hundreds of kids without a conventional high school experience go on to do splendid things, including formal academic work at the highest level. Neither of his own two kids has a high school diploma, and they are both honors graduates of the University of California.
Self-Directed Learning: Documentation and Life Stories
by Wes Beach
Expected to be published in 2015. Check back here for details.