HSC Diversity and Inclusivity Statement
First, we wish to make it very clear that HSC is firmly committed to being a truly inclusive homeschooling organization: we strongly oppose ANY oppression or marginalization of people on the basis of their gender expression, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity, ability, age, or religious belief. In our Mission Statement, we state that HSC “honors the diversity of homeschoolers” and also “empowers families to make choices that respect the rights, needs, and aspirations of their children.”
- HSC values ideas that may look unique or different to some, yet would enhance the whole of the community.
- HSC has a strict policy prohibiting the use of hate speech, harassment, or any other form of bullying at HSC events or activities, and all allegations will be reviewed and taken seriously.
- HSC does not endorse or support any positions or organizations that oppress or denigrate any marginalized group.
- HSC does not necessarily agree, implicitly or explicitly, with the views expressed by any of its speakers (past, present, or future). However, we do take very seriously any actions or speech that would be considered any form of discrimination.
- In order to ensure the safety and comfort of all families within our organization, we are currently arranging workshops and gathering speakers on a diverse set of topics and interests.
HSC is committed to fostering a welcoming atmosphere that is inclusive of all of our families. We are working on a number of initiatives, including, but not limited to: developing volunteers, a Board of Directors, speakers and writers, event participants, and a membership that reflects the wide diversity of California homeschoolers; organizational evaluation; ally training; and transparency.
We invite you to reach out with comments, suggestions, or questions by emailing us here.
Who We Are
The Homeschool Association of California is a nonprofit organization (501(c)(3)) that has been around since 1987 when a small group of Bay Area homeschooling moms got together to start what was then called the Northern California Homeschool Association. Since then we've grown to a statewide organization. Those original families have moved on to new life stages, and passed their vision on to new members, that vision being an inclusive homeschooling organization dedicated to the support of homeschooling families in all their many flavors. We hold to the belief that homeschooling families are the ones best able to make their own educational choices. We are a non-profit volunteer organization.
HSC's members are the heart and soul of the organization. They step up, get involved, and serve homeschoolers of California in a wide variety of ways and each one is important. We thank all our active members for their willingness to participate in promoting and protecting homeschooling.
HSC Mission Statement
The HomeSchool Association of California is a nonprofit volunteer-run homeschool organization that:
The HomeSchool Association of California (HSC) is a fully inclusive organization, welcoming homeschoolers of all races and ethnicities, religions, sexual orientation, gender identities, and abilities.
Harassment or bullying will not be tolerated by HSC. The HSC Board of Directors is committed to providing a safe and civil environment in which all members of the HSC community, including adults, teens, and children, are welcomed with dignity and respect.